Life is unpredictable and full of things we can’t control.
The only thing we can truly have power over is our attitude.
We don’t always have a choice in what happens to us, but we always get to choose how we respond.
Adam and Adam have extracted the most valuable insights about attitude from some of the greatest minds on the topic, and distilled them into five simple lessons: Vision, Change, Learning, Fear, and Boldness. Time to say goodbye to mediocrity and hello to a kickass new attitude!
This book is a deep dive into all things Attitude. We’ve taken the best books on this topic and combined the best ideas to pull out five lessons - with one meta-conclusion.
Here’s what you can expect from the book:
- Vision: The first step in getting to where you want to go is knowing where you want to go in the first place. Over the next few years, you’re going to get somewhere… but unless you set a bit of a vision for yourself, the place you end up may not be the place you wanted to go.
- Change: Having crafted your vision, you might realise that there’s a little bit of a gap between where you are now and where you want to be. Or perhaps more than a little bit of a gap… In order to close that gap, to move closer towards the person you want to be, you’re going to need to change. Change can be scary. It means moving into unknown territories. It means moving outside your comfort zone, outside of the warm and safe place you know. But if you want to improve, change is going to be an inevitable part of the journey.
- Learning: As you’re working toward your vision and making changes in your life, you are going to have to try new things. Things you’ve never done before, things you never thought you could do, but things that are vital to achieving your goals. There are times when we must learn new things (a new course, a new job, new software), but most of us don’t have an intentional approach to learning. Instead, this lesson offers new frameworks for learning and new mindsets you can apply to the struggle it takes to get from being shit to holy shit (that gag will make sense when you read Chapter 9).
- Fear: Everything so far might sound pretty exciting. But it might also sound a little scary. Thinking about your future is scary, change is scary, trying new things is scary. Lesson 4 provides new ways to reframe fear into something that will help propel you forward rather than hold you back.
- Boldness: The last piece of the Attitude puzzle is that little bit of grunt, that little bit of scrappiness, that brash confidence to just get out there and have a crack. In spite of fears, in spite of not knowing exactly what to do or how to do it, a little bit of boldness might be the last thing you need to get you off the sidelines and into the arena.